RE: en dash

Subject: RE: en dash
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:45:49 -0700 (PDT)

> Ahhh, that explains it! I use em dashes a lot, the
> traditional way with no spaces. But, I've seen the
> spance-endash-space approach, and was curious about
> it. But, does Chicago approve? And, if that variance
> is acceptable, what about using regular dashes for
> number ranges and linking contrasting words?

Who cares what Chicago has to say? Really, if you're
consistent in use, most people wouldn't know a en from
an em from a hyphen, other than sometimes one is
longer than another. Just don't do anything silly like
replacing periods with two Q's and an octothorpe,
commas with asterisks, and apostrophes with equals
signs. If you did* it would become pretty hard to
readQQ# And* I don=t think that anyone would enjoy thatQQ#

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://shopping.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com