Re: Starting a documentation team

Subject: Re: Starting a documentation team
From: Carol Gilbert <cgilbert -at- cal -dot- berkeley -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:29:04 -0700

On Tuesday, October 21, 2003, at 11:48 PM, Dharuni Garikapaty wrote:

As a result of a long-winding appraisal interview and discussions, I am now
being given the opportunity to start (recruit, train, and manage) a team of
4-5 Technical Writers. I am being given the freedom to choose/decide on
experience levels, numbers of people, recommend remuneration packages,
training, etc.
<snip>
I would like to know the considerations, training requirements (for self),
challenges, or any other information/ ideas anyone may have.

First of all, congratulations! Random thoughts:

As one small element, I recommend attending a Joann Hackos seminar or trying to get some of her written materials.

Gather some leveled job descriptions. If lucky, your HR dept. will have them. Otherwise, you'll need to write some. They should have some salary stats too. STC has an annual survey that can provide some guidance.

Understand the dept. workload and schedules. Staff somewhat accordingly. I would always prefer to staff slim and work with a backlog than over-staff and then let go.

If you haven't managed before, a general management seminar might be helpful, but remember, people really do not want to be "managed," they want to be "led."

Expect some proficiency in the software you will be using, but proven record to learn quickly is as important and could matter more. If you are to provide any in-house training, whether on product or tools, try to staff first and then train the group. It is more efficient and can build esprit de corps.

Good luck- Carol Gilbert

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com