Re: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: Re: Adobe adds product activation
From: "Steve Arrants" <stephena -at- compbear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:25:17 -0700

Churk Martin writes:

> "Andrew Plato" <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message
> news:217003 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
>
> > Companies like Adobe, Microsoft, IBM, etc. don't make strategic
moves
> without
> > analyzing the impact. Since MS has been using online activation for
a few
> years
> > now, there is data on how many users really abandon these products.
While
> I do
> > not have direct access to such data, my sources tell me that there
has
> been no
> > significant change in market share with the introduction of
activation.

> So how Do you explain Intuit with TurboTax?

They type of product activation that Intuit used is different from that
used by Microsoft. Intuit used Macrovision technology that made changes
to the user's hard disk and used system resources. Microsoft's product
activation isn't the same.

"The dream was marvelous, but the terror was great.
We must treasure the dream, whatever the terror."
--The Epic of Gilgamesh

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com