[Off Topic] Technical Training: On-site vs Open Enrollment

Subject: [Off Topic] Technical Training: On-site vs Open Enrollment
From: "Bob Hooker" <rlhooker -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:59:30 -0400

As a tech writer/curriculum developer for a company that develops and
installs medical billing and scheduling software for large hospitals, I am
looking for any cost/benefit information comparing on-site technical
training vs. conducting the same training via regularly scheduled (open
enrollment) classes at the home office. I've scoured the Web and can't find
this kind of info, though maybe I don't know where to look.

The problem is that we currently conduct training on-site. Being a complex
client-server application, this means using not only the client's training
facilities, whatever they may be, but their network, security setup,
technical personnel, etc. Between numerous technical glitches, trainees
leaving class for hours at a time to attend to their regular duties, and
myriad other factors, training results have been, to put it politely, less
than optimal. This is taking quite a toll on both trainers and trainees, and
having to retrain clients on the same material is not uncommon. I know that
we can to a much better job by training customer in our offices where we
have control of the training environment but clients are reluctant to pay to
send 10 people to training in our office when they can pay for one
instructor to go to their site. I strongly suspect that both my company and
our clients are paying more in the long run for on-site training but it's
mostly in hidden costs so I cannot prove it in dollars and cents.

If anyone knows of any studies on this issue, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance
Bob Hooker

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com