Subject: TECHWR-L Premium Jobs, Events, and Announcements
From: "techwr-l owner" <techwr-l-owner -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
To: <archive -at- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 02:30:00 -0600

You received this message because you're a subscriber to
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).

In this posting, look for the following ...
* STORY: Winning with SnagIt (NEW)
* ANNOUNCE: Sell your products better with TurboDemo
* TIP: Creating User-friendly documentation
* TRAINING: INTRODUCTION TO XML SEAT SALE -- $129!

and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.

ANNOUNCE: TurboDemo-Formats For All

How frustrating it is when you want to send information to
someone only to find out that they have different
operating systems, Internet browsers, or long demonstration
times and cannot view your demos. TurboDemo helps alleviate
these anxieties by allowing you to create your demos in
Flash, Java, Exe, AVI and Standalone formats.

You might ask yourself what are some of the advantages of
these different formats and the good news is that with
TurboDemo you can choose your compilation format of choice.
Using Flash, audio and sound are best compressed and a Flash
Plug-In is very small in file size and quick to download
from the internet. When you create your demos in Java the
size of a 1 min demo is between 100-200 KB and smaller than
those in Flash. An Exe Demo does not require an Internet
browser and interactive hot keys are supported. A standalone
demo is suitable for sending via CD to end-users and unlike
Flash, interactive right mouse clicks and double clicks are
supported.AVI demos can be sent via CD to end-users and
no Internet broser is required. In AVI, Standalone and Java
there is no duration limit to the demos. To find out more
about demo formats please contact us at TurboDemo via our
toll free numbers at www.turbodemo.com

10/20/03-10/27/03

STORY: Winning with SnagIt

Dan the technical writer picked up his nephew Josh from school.

"What are you going to be for Halloween, Uncle Dan?" Josh asked.

"I'm going as a screen capture software icon - SnagIt," Dan answered.

Josh looked doubtful.

"Well," Dan rushed to explain, "I'm going to a work party. And SnagIt
is the leading screen capture software. As a technical writer, I
depend upon it to capture everything I need to create documents,
online Help files . . . Anytime I need any type of image, menu,
graphic toolbar - anything - I can quickly and easily capture it with
SnagIt."

"Well, that sounds good," Josh said. "Will anyone know what you are?"

Dan laughed good-naturedly. "Josh, at that party . . . with that
crowd . . . in that costume . . . I wouldn't be surprised if they
handed me the Best Costume prize as SOON as I walked in the door."

Find out about the award-winning SnagIt! Try it at www.techsmith.com.

10/13/03-10/21/03

JOB: Senior level Technical Writer Needed in New York City

Senior Technical Writer position available in NYC

You will be required to maintain existing and create new
in-depth technical documentation for a wide range of client/
server and web applications and technologies with little
guidance in a dynamic environment. Most documentation needs
are based on needs that you perceive through personal
interaction and observation, sometimes based solely on
questions about existing documentation.

You will be required to interact with personnel from a wide
range of technology groups. Also, because much of the system
is based on critical real-time data movement, you must be
prepared to immediately react to user's needs.

You will be required to know how to triage documentation
creation activities when time/urgency requires.

Most important, you must want to create great documentation
above and beyond the required through the application of
imagination, planning, and experience.

Requirements:
Understand:
- how to develop Design and Operational documentation, and
know the difference. This includes documentation such as
"As Built/Design", "Run", and "Build" document sets.
- how to document and diagram business processes and data
flows.
- relational databases, specifically MSSQL; knowledge of
Oracle databases a plus.
- "Enterprise Application Integration" applications;
knowledge of TIBCO and SeeBeyond eGate applications a
plus.
- technologies behind WinDNA, including MSMQ, COM+, and
Soap.
- how to create/edit PDFs
- Java, HTML, CSS, XML, UML
- Graphics; including how to create, how to convert between
formats, and when to apply specific formats.
- how to create HTML Help and Web Help

Hardware/Software Application Requirements:
Adobe FrameMaker, MS Visio, Adobe Acrobat, MS Word, Excel,
Project, MS SQL Server Query Analyzer and Enterprise
Manager, CA Associates ERwin, MS Server OS, SeeBeyond
eGate, and TIBCO

This position is in lower mid-town New York City. Contact
John Posada by email at writer -at- tdandw -dot- com and include
attached Word resume.

10/11/03-10/18/03

TIP: Creating User-friendly documentation

Develop your professional skills today by learning
Information Mapping's research-based method for structured
writing. The method can help you make complex content and
documentation

-Accessible
-User-friendly
-Readable, and
-Easy to maintain.

Learn the leading method for developing high-quality
structured content and documentation by attending one of
Information Mapping.s seminars. Go to
http://www.infomap.com/lc/learning_programs/lc_schedule.htm
for more information or call us at 800-INFOMAP.

10/08/03-10/15/03

TRAINING: INTRODUCTION TO XML SEAT SALE -- $129!

Our November and December "Introduction to XML" classes
are on sale for a "limited time" at $129US (Regularly $299US).

Online-Learning has established a solid reputation for
delivering high-quality courses. Check out our testimonials!
Courses feature self-paced reading materials, one-to-one
instructor interaction, scheduled audio or text chats and
practical, hand-marked assignments with instructor feedback.
All courses are university-certified in the United States
and Canada. Visit us today at:

http://www.online-learning.com/index.html?techwrl

10/08/03-10/15/03

About posting ads:
Announcements on the TECHWR-L Premium Announcement posting
cost $50 to contact over 5100 TECHWR-L subscribers
directly each day for a week.

In an effort to provide a free service that allows you to post
announcements, jobs, and events, however, we have established other
services:

The TECHWR-L Calendar provides a free resource for you
to post announcements, activities, and events:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/calendar/

The TECHWR-L Employment Central provides a free resource
for you to post, browse, and search job listings and personal
profiles:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/employment/

The TECHWR-L Daily Summary Mailing, a separate mailing list
that summarizes new content posted to Employment Central and
the Calendar, can further help get your
message out to interested people:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/daily-announce-info.html

These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.

For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 5100+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Eric
(ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/postad.html.