Asking for help . . . LOTS (API documentation)?

Subject: Asking for help . . . LOTS (API documentation)?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:03:42 -0400

turnleftatnowhere is looking for help about API documentation: <<They've
been in business more than four years and never had a tech writer until I
was hired - the developers did all the documentation.>>

Then the developers are probably a good starting point for finding out
what's needed. They use this kind of documentation every day in their work,
so who (other than your actual customers) would be better to tell you how to
do it right? Talk to them to find out their requirements, and use that as a
good starting point for your work. Among other things, they'll come to learn
that you actually care about their needs and will be working to make their
lives easier, and that's a great way to start building a successful
long-term relationship with them.

<<Can anyone point out one or more Web sites and/or commercially available
books that can tell me everything I need to know about documenting an API,
and/or about using JavaDocs?>>

I'd recommend having a look at
http://www.gordonandgordon.com/api_workshop_details.html
Haven't taken the course or read the book myself, but I've taken other of
their courses and enjoyed and benefited from them, and I've heard good
things about the API course. (Disclaimer: Gordon and Manny are old buds of
mine. I think I'm being objective, but obviously can't swear to that.)

(try ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca if you get no response)
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone."--Bjarne Stroustrup (originator of C++ programming language)

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com