RE: Basic structure question

Subject: RE: Basic structure question
From: "Lulu TW" <lulutw -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:59:30 +0200

Bof! I *have* been out of tech writing too long...I haven't explained the situtaion very well.

Basically, to create an object, you need to create all this other stuff as well. I've pulled the description of 'creating other stuff' into a separate chapter that is 25 pages long. The chapter on 'creating an object' is only 10 pages...and a lot of it is taken up with xrefs to the previous chapter.

Is this a good way to proceed, or should I mash it all up together?

Thanks,

Lulu

From: "Ruiter, Vicki" <Vicki_Ruiter -at- sra -dot- com>

My first knee jerk reaction is that the management of the object is a
separate area from the creation, and presumably done after the creation.
The maintenance description can probably be pulled to its own section. The
next question is: will all of your readers need to read through the full
descriptions? Or will some of them already come to this process knowing
what they need? Are you doing a disservice to these "clued" readers if you
include pages of discussion for those without a clue?

Express yourself with cool emoticons - download MSN Messenger today! http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST FRAMEMAKER PUBLISHING TOOL?

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com