RE: Advice re: RoboHelp/RoboDemo maint. packs

Subject: RE: Advice re: RoboHelp/RoboDemo maint. packs
From: "Ruiter, Vicki" <Vicki_Ruiter -at- sra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:15:39 -0400

Our documentation team uses RoboHelp for online help, context-sensitive
help, and web-based documentation. I don't think we've ever had reason to
use the phone support from eHelp, but we have emailed a question or two.
However, my experience with RoboHelp is that they seem to be experts at
creating incompatibilities between versions. A project saved in a later
version of RoboHelp, from my experience, won't even open in an earlier
version of RoboHelp. So, if you have one person on the maintenance plan,
and that person upgrades their version, don't count on being able to access
that person's projects, or have that person open up your project and work on
it, and have you be able to work on it again with your older version. If
you have a new hire and have to purchase a later version of RoboHelp for
that person, you'll have the same issues. (I personally would purchase the
bronze support for all licenses. From the standpoint of someone who has done
purchasing for a small office as well, it's often easier to get the support
purchase when you are doing the initial purchase than it is to go back after
18 months and say, hey, we really need to buy the upgrade for these
licenses....)

Vicki Ruiter
SRA International, Inc.