Re: synchronizing color - not really possible today

Subject: Re: synchronizing color - not really possible today
From: "Peter Ring" <prc -at- prc -dot- dk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:06:48 +0200

Of course you can improve the color synchronizing with proper calibration, but it can
NEVER be even close to perfect with the computer monitor technologies available
today.

The fundamental problem is, that monitors use the RGB (Red - Green - Blue) system
because monitor screens are light emitting devices, and printers use the CMYK
(Cyan - Magenta - Yellow - Black) system because paper is a light reflecting media.
Some cheap printers only use CMY, but that only makes it worse.

New flat-screen technologies like reflective LCD monitors (no back-light) or
electronic paper may solve the problem far better in the future.

Your graphic designer should know the difference from the graphic arts school.