Re: Word misses typos - puts egg on writer's face?

Subject: Re: Word misses typos - puts egg on writer's face?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:06:03 -0400

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote on 10/15/2003 02:47:46 PM:
> Did you mean to say a good editing?
> ___________________________
> Bonnie Granat
> Granat Technical Editing and Writing
> http://www.editors-writers.info

No, I meant to say exactly what I said. Unless you can come up with a source
that defines the difference between proofreading and editing that applies to
this case. The entries below are from Mirriam-Webster On-Line.

I suppose one could say that you proofread something prior to editing it. But
now we're needlessly splitting hairs aren't we.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

Main Entry: proof·read
Pronunciation: 'prüf-"rEd
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): proof·read/-"red/; -read·ing
Etymology: back-formation from proofreader
Date: 1920
: to read and mark corrections in (as a proof )

Main Entry: (superscript: 1)ed·it
Pronunciation: 'e-d&t
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: back-formation from editor
Date: 1791
1 a : to prepare (as literary material) for publication or public presentation
b : to assemble (as a moving picture or tape recording) by cutting and
rearranging
c : to alter, adapt, or refine especially to bring about conformity to a
standard or to suit a particular purpose <carefully edited the speech>
2 : to direct the publication of <edits the daily newspaper>
3 : DELETE -- usually used with out
- ed·it·able/'e-d&-t&-b&l/ adjective

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com