RE: Microsoft Activation ... UGH

Subject: RE: Microsoft Activation ... UGH
From: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:07:40 -0400

The point is not Microsoft's "right" to require activation.

The point is not Chuck's "right" to buy software without activation.

The point is, there ought to be an effective method for Microsoft to guard
its investment without the inconvenience of activation. That's Tech 101.
We're not talking about John Locke here, folks, we're talking about Thomas
Edison. Even those silly HASP keys are (IMHO) more convenient than
activation, and they're pretty darn secure. But there ought to be a better
method than HASP keys, too.

I realize that MS is famous for their "automatic" inconveniences, in Windows
and Word and everything else. But some smart little company could probably
invent and then sell a better method to MS.

Dan Goldstein