Re: Punctuation (was: I got thrown for a loop.)

Subject: Re: Punctuation (was: I got thrown for a loop.)
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:45:49 -0700 (PDT)

"Well Hell, Bonnie--few things can get writers so riled up as disputes on punctuation!" he replied in his best Freudian voice. 8:)

There seems to be a great deal of flux at the moment regarding many "traditional" grammar rules. What may be common usage by one person is definitely not for others. However, I believe we can read text in two ways regarding each comma or other break--with or without--and determine fairly quickly whether the break is necessary or helpful on the one hand or merely surplusage on the other.

Pardon me if I quote you to illustrate (with your self-edited change included):

"I would never write, "Good morning dear!" or "See you
> later honey." How is "Hello, Jean" different?"

I don't believe it is, actually--in all of these cases, I think the comma is optional today. If you set off the diminutives as substitutes for the proper name, traditionally they should have been capitalized: "Dear" or "Honey" in these cases.
However, this seems to be another quickly fading "rule" in this informal time.

In your words, *you* would never write it without the comma. However, others can and do--and I think the best sense of the matter today is that a comma in that position is optional...although I will without doubt attract a sufficient number of those who disagree. That is what makes English so interesting--it's always changing!

David

-----Original Message from Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>-----

From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
> > David Neeley commented,
> > >As for the comma after "Hello"--I think that is optional in this use
today.

> > I agree with David: it's a matter of style. _I_ certainly don't use a
comma
> > after "Hello", ...

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com