Re: credibility

Subject: Re: credibility
From: "John Posada" <writer -at- tdandw -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:32:47 -0700

> sanctuary from the forces at work in the economy at large. No doubt
your
> talent and hard work are responsible for your current good
situation, but
> you may not be aware that many employers do not and never will offer
that
> kind of opportunity to a tech writer.
>
> You may not have noticed, but your golden rule, which has been true
for
> generations, has been temporarily suspended (at least in the US).
The
> underlying value proposition of *work* is currently under attack
> <semi-political elaboration deleted>.

hogwash..

In 12 years and 8+ gigs, I've NEVER NOT had the opportunity to make a
deliverable just a little better than required by adding a dimension
that adds improvement with it being asked for.

- When I was writing proposal responses...volunteering to do a 30
minute a week training for SMEs on how to describe value when writing
about a feature
- When doing an online help for a deliverable, include hotspot mapped
screenshots to compensatre for the lack of application context
help..they didn't know it could be done.
- When doing process flows and descriptions, unexpectly deliver a web
page where all my documents could be access from a central point.

There are others.

And, before anyone throws this out yes, I'm now unemployed. But
remember...I left and should the agency contract be dissolved, the
position is still there for me.

> you may not be aware that many employers do not and never will offer
that
> kind of opportunity to a tech writer.

You wait for it to be offered? They'll never offer it...you TAKE it.
You DO it. You MAKE it part of your deliverable.

--
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3