RE: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)

Subject: RE: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:05:42 -0400

Keith Cronin

> I think there are more people out there with "jobs nobody cares about"
> than there are people with high-profile jobs. Get used to it. Public
> apathy towards those jobs does NOT mean they're unnecessary.

Of course there are. High profile jobs are, be definition, in the minority.
As W. S. Gilbert remined us, "When everybody's somebody then no one's
anybody."

The high credibility / high profile jobs in most corporations are those that
either create new products or open new markets. Technical writers, for the
most part, do neither of these things. The particular feelings of neglect
that so many tech writers feel, I suspect, come from the fact that they work
so closely with those who do.

---
Mark Baker
Stilo Corporation
1900 City Park Drive, Suite 504 , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1J 1A3
Phone: 613-745-4242, Fax: 613-745-5560
Email mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com
Web: http://www.stilo.com

This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying, or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message and any attachments.

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com