Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)

Subject: Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:34:27 -0400

> Something I might say, no matter how valid
> (or not) it might be to the current discussion, could
> easily be taken out of context by a web search, thus
> potentially harming my credibility.

Not only what you say, but what others say about you. Google is especially
insidious for presenting threads out of context. If you post something and
9 people reply and call you a genius and the tenth person calls you a moron,
guess which post Google will find? True, you can use Google to view the
never understand the social context of this community, or how your post
plays off the persona created by your 1000 previous posts on different
topics.

When the decision was made to mirror techwr-l to USENET, I'm sure nobody
dreamed all posts would be permanently and easily available to every
employer, spammer, and stalker in the world.

Mike O.

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com