What is the value of Tech Comm Masters

Subject: What is the value of Tech Comm Masters
From: "Nicole Balant" <nbalant -at- taconic -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:26:56 -0400

MY RPI tech writing MS was a useful credential to establish that I had some
technical background, which was helpful balancing my "A.B." in psychology
and English from Bryn Mawr (in the computer punchcard days). The course
itself was an easy way to become more computer literate. Moreover, there was
room to play with any type of technology that interested us. We also got
some useful training in interviewing for jobs, although often with the
prof's reminder that he himself was in academia and preferred it there.

Finally, we had a blast--40 adults of all varieties who wanted to make a
living as writers and were delighted to be back in school for a year. But
when it came to interview time (this was 1982) we found the job market in a
slump. Computer makers like Wang and Digital were having trouble selling
their mid-size computers and many grads had a hard time getting hired.
Circumstances took me to nonprofit fundraising (where they loved my skills)
and now into general editing. But I believe I would have had difficulty
getting hired as a technical writer without a solid background of technical
expertise.

Nicole Balant, freelance editor

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com