RE: What is the value of Tech Comm Masters?

Subject: RE: What is the value of Tech Comm Masters?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:23:54 -0600

Kelly wrote:

> I am sure that there are a
> large number of people going for their Master's simply for the sake of
> getting a Master's. It is these people, in my opinion, that think an "M"
> rather than a "B" is going to place them one or more rungs higher on the
> ladder.
>
> I do not promote this ideology of getting a Master's. I do not think
> working towards a Master's should be for impressing people, but
> scratching that itch if you got it. Now, the itch may not be to get a
> Master's, it could be to learn a foreign language, software, or maybe
> something totally unrelated to your profession.

Or that itch may be to have more job prospects, make more money, and then
be able to hire somebody to scratch those itches for you. <g>

I understand what you're saying. Education purely for its own sake is a
noble goal, and lots of fun to pursue. But I don't see anything wrong in
acknowledging the fact that some advanced degrees can open some doors that
might otherwise remain closed. So I don't look down on those who pursue
education with "mercenary" goals - I sure as hell am doing that!

Let's be honest: the reason most of us tell our kids to go to college is
to give them better job prospects, not because we want to make sure they
read Shakespeare. So it's not surprising that some of us go back to school
for the same reason.

Keith Cronin
in it for the money, which can't buy happiness, but which can provide the
freedom to pursue it

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com