RE: Survey says...

Subject: RE: Survey says...
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:19:45 -0700

When I tell people what I do for a living, I ALWAYS get a 5 minute rant
about the last product the person bought that they couldn't figure out how
to use and the manual didn't help. The AAA man who fixed my flat, the
postman who delivered my brother the other day, the people at Mail Boxes
Etc. I apologized and tried to be helpful. I felt bad and partly
responsible.

Now I tell them to take the product back. Call the company and tell them
what you are doing and why. Tell them the manual was so
bad/complicated/missing/other that you can't use the product. Write a
letter. Keep taking products back and telling companies why you are doing it
until you find that 1 that has a good manual. And then call them and tell
them why you are keeping their product.

I am trying to instigate a revolt. There is NO reason why we should not have
good, usable manuals with every product we spend our money on. Zero reason.
Bad manuals show a lack of concern and outright contempt on the
manufacturers part for the people they are selling the product to. That is
us, kids.

We as consumers don't have to put up with this and we can fix it. The one
thing we have control of in the market place is where we spend our dollars.
And purchasing products BECAUSE they have a decent manual is one way we can
do just that.

My opinion on a lazy, slow, doc plan thinking sort of day.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590