RE: Stupid users (was the "top this" thread)

Subject: RE: Stupid users (was the "top this" thread)
From: <Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:56:53 -0700

And earlier this week a "user" problem that a QA engineer was having turned out to be something similar.

There was a "bug" submitted for a help screen that had "old" content from the last version of our product (the "help" is actually an HTML file called to open in a new window from our web-based product). The QA engineer submitted the bug, I made the changes, checked the file back in, and returned the bug to him to close once he agreed it was fixed. After the next build, he returned the bug commenting that the help was still wrong. I looked in the build tree, saw that the "right" file was there, confirmed with the lead developer that he could "see" the correct file, and passed the bug back. After the next build, the QA guy returned the bug. Back and forth four or five times.

So, in the bug meeting Monday I brought a printout of the "fixed" file and showed it around (with some light-hearted banter and pretended exasperation that it was a conspiracy to keep me out of the build tree - this is a great development team with a collective sense of humor, so you may not want to try this at home). The lead and the QA and myself went out of the meeting together determined to get to the bottom of the problem.

Went up to engineering and looked on the lead's machine, saw the "fixed" file in the build tree. Called the BuildMaster to confirm the build script was correct. Looked on the QA engineer's machine, and saw the "wrong" help file. You can see this coming right?

Lead developer to QA engineer: "Have you cleared your browser cache?"
QA engineer (very quietly, with a look of extreme chagrin): "No."
Me (grinning): "Do I need to doc this?"

Dan