Re: Questions - Going from Hourly to Per Project Basis

Subject: Re: Questions - Going from Hourly to Per Project Basis
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:35:39 -0700

"Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com> wrote in message
news:214977 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Since about April 2001, we have had no client want an hourly project. I
> don't blame them. Hourly projects seem to just go on and an with no end in
> sight. They seem to bleed money. How do you plan your project budget in
this
> case?

I infer from a statement such as this that problems exist with management of
the projects, not that they are billed hourly. Hourly billig is thus a
convenient straw man.

And then, what do you do in a flat-rate project when the schedule slips by 2
months, yet there's no additional TW work? All of a sudden you're either
sitting idle because you have your work done, yet you're committed to that
company, or you're waiting for information that has been delayed because of
the schedule slip, and you're still committed to the contract.

Are any of the other engineers--programmers, industrial, design, QA, etc.,
being asked the same thing?

I wouldn't do it for anything large and complex. I might for something small
and simple, say anything that can recognizably be complete in up to a week.

Chuck Martin

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com