RE: Linux documentation tools

Subject: RE: Linux documentation tools
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:16:30 -0400

Gilger.John [mailto:JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com] sez:

> Most people who are learning SGML really want docbook. The
> link below will
> provide a pretty good overview of the sgml toolset
>
> DocBook HOWTO
> http://www.ibiblio.org/godoy/sgml/docbook/howto/

According to that link, the toolset (unlike everything else
associated with Linux) has not changed in three years. I
didn't read it, I just looked at the last revision date of
the HowTo.

As I recall, in my last (abortive) foray into those waters...
about three years ago... one of the problems was that most/many
of the recommended tools seemed to be about 3 years out of date.

Hmm. Plus ça change, ni ça change.

Yeah, I know... I'm looking for easy answers. This time, I have
to press on, even after I don't *get* easy answers. Probably
into XML, though, and not full-blown SGML. So, emacs+psgml,
Docbook, a post-processor of some sort (maybe several, for
different output formats).

Assuming that a working setup is achieved in Linux, what would
be a good tool or toolset for an occasional contributor to
use in Windows, that would not screw up anything in the Linux
workflow? I'm thinking of an editor or other input tool that
would let an occasional author contribute text to larger projects,
while enforcing some structure and tagging discipline. This would
likely be somebody who has never met emacs, and doesn't have
a lot of time to learn it. (For example, none of our developers
uses emacs -- they're all vi people, apparently.) Most people who
might contribute don't even use vi. They'd be Word users. The
response to a request to use emacs to create a document would
be "You're kidding!" or something much less polite.

Yes, I'd probably end up doing all the tagging myself, so maybe
I should just ask for Word or Notepad documents.

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com