RE: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills

Subject: RE: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills
From: "David Locke" <dlocke -at- texas -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:08:57 -0500

Mike O said:

> Do developers charge each other for every conversation they have with each
> other? No? why not? Maybe because they consider themselves part of a team?

Well, the idea was to put a real dollar value on the relative cost of a tech
TW vs. a non-tech TW. If there is no difference, then this whole argument
and its repetitive flaring ups is a total waste of time.

Some of us know from experience that there is a cost differential and that
it is large.

When developers talk to each other they talk to each other at some technical
level. The team lead isn't talking about basic skills.

I've never worked anywhere where there was a wall between the TWs and the
developer regardless of which the department in which the TWs worked. I have
never worked anywhere where you had to set up an appointment to talk to a
developer either. And, no we never charged back time. But, there have been
very wide variances in the amount of handholding the developers had to do
with different TWs. I try to hire for no handholding unless I am
specifically hiring an entry level.

The most important SME and the one usually ignored is the end user in the
automated domain. The closest most TWs come to the automated domain is when
and if they read the requirements.

David Locke

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com