Re: Question re: Website Design & Resizing Site to Fit Browser Window?

Subject: Re: Question re: Website Design & Resizing Site to Fit Browser Window?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:33:08 -0400

From: <sclarke -at- nucleus -dot- com>
> I've got a contract to build a small website for my local town's Chamber
> of Commerce. The budget is pretty small as well. I used a pre-fab template
> that came with my Dreamweaver 4/Fireworks 4 package. I then customized the
> template for use for my client's site. The site design is
> rectangular-basically just the size to accommodate one screen full of info
> at a time eliminating the necessity of scrolling-in keeping with good web
> design standards.
>
> The template is basically designed for 800x600 to accommodate 15 inch
> monitors. It works well and looks great at this size but it isn't (in it's
> present state)scaleable. In other words, it doesn't expand to fill the
> window of the monitor it's being viewed on. I understand that if it's set
> in pixels it will retain the original size regardless of size of monitor.
> It's also my understanding that if set as a per centage it will
> scale/expand to monitor size. Originally, I was told to "just design the
> site" as I wished and "go for it". Now clients are "concerned" that it
> doesn't scale. Is there an easy quick solution to make it scale/expand?

You can get good advice at alt.html.critique (at Google groups or in your
newsreader.
Many sites at 1280x1024 do not fill the screen, as you will see if you use
that resolution and surf the Internet. But if you want to, the best way is to
use CSS for your presentation. For those items that must be restricted in
width, you can specify a maximum width in the CSS. For example, you can put
your graphics in a <div class="topmenu"> in your HTML, and your CSS can tell
the browser not to display the contents of the <div> any wider than, say, 6
ems.

I strongly advise you to go to the newsgroup, though.
Bonnie Granat
Granat Editorial Services
http://www.editors-writers.info
Fast | Accurate | Affordable

“Mustang” (code name) is a NEW online publishing tool for FrameMaker that

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com