RE: Post-Mortem/Post-Project Review

Subject: RE: Post-Mortem/Post-Project Review
From: "Hauglie, Joe" <jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:29:52 -0500

In light of the junk inundation (I'm down to +/-10 per day from >1K) I am
only now reviewing earlier digests from this week. (Hey, it's Friday.)

Another recommendation for a post-project review is to do a modified FMEA
(Failure Mode/Effect Analysis). Since an FMEA is usually done before/during
a project, doing it post-facto is not common, but has produced some
interesting results when I've participated in them.

There are basically four columns to this exercise; the first one (Failures)
includes the failures (either those that occurred or could have occurred;
you may consider adding the category of "what we did right" as well); the
second (Mode) is an explanation of WHY it (could have) happened; the third
(Effects) is a statement of the results of the failure (on the positive
angle, this would be a statement regarding what was avoided); and the last
column may be "Actions/Lessons," and offer the team a chance to either
generate a "Let's do this differently next time" statement, or a "This was a
positive decision."

In any case, I'd also recommend that you provide snacks (at least) and most
important, try to get a direct beneficiary of the project (customer?
manager? someone who received a benefit from the success of the project) to
either show up and talk for a few minutes (or a Q&A) or send a short message
to the team regarding his/her appreciation (hopefully) of the team's
efforts.

Hope this helps -

Joe Hauglie
Technical Editor, Texas Instruments - Tucson
jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com