Re: documenting desktop to web application

Subject: Re: documenting desktop to web application
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:16:47 -0400

dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
> I was talking about designing a web app to *function* (again, from the
> user's point of view) just like an existing desktop app...
> ...buttons, fields, windows, and the like have the
> same names; list boxes offer the same selections; radio buttons and
> checkboxes offer the same alternatives; and so on.

This is exactly what you shouldn't do. Fat client design is different from
thin client design. A Windows app is made of windows, dialog boxes, and
menus, whereas a web app is made of pages, forms, and links. I have never
seen a web app successfully migrate their windows and dialogs one-for-one to
pages and forms. But I have seen lots of failed attempts to do so.

The other option is to fall back on the Windows API and run little Windows
programs inside IE. This is actually not a bad option for many corporate
applications. But it's not a web application, it's basically just Windows
components delivered over http and wrapped in some perfunctory html.

I remember when shops tried to migrate their mainframe apps to Windows, and
they designed a bunch of windows that looked like their old terminal
screens. They didn't realize they needed a new model. Same problem migrating
from Windows to Web.

The problem with IE apps (the problem for documentation anyway) is that you
can never specifically refer to a form or page, the way you can identify a
window or a dialog. A web app is supposed to have a URL for all web
resources.

But in an IE app, if all data is dynamically presented in a single html page
(or asp page), what is the address of that page? How do you refer to it in
documentation? Sure, I've found workarounds, none of them perfect. Sometimes
I fall back on a narrative or pictorial approach just to tell a user how to
navigate to a specific point in the application.

Mike O.

Purveyor of fine rubbish and horsefeathers since 1997

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com