RE: participating in interface design

Subject: RE: participating in interface design
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:14:19 -0400

Dan,

Your history sounds a lot like mine. And if you're lucky, you'll get to
push beyond interface design.

I would just add a couple of other points that I have often added to similar
threads in the past:

Make yourself a part of the development team. Your deliverables and
milestones should be a part of any project planning that goes on. I do not
believe in ivory tower documentation--those that think you must follow some
set of rules especially for documentation that do not provide interaction
with development, QA and implementation. Such efforts tend to isolate you
further. If the team has status meetings, go to them. You may raise some
eyebrows at first, but they'll start figuring out that you're more than a
font fondler pretty quickly.

Offer to take on additional responsibilities. I offered to write the
functional specifications where the UI was defined, simply because no one
really had the time to devote and I enjoy doing it. Not only does that give
you input on the UI, it gives you input on functionality, and an amazing
head start when it comes time to write. And an impressive line on your
resume for business analysis. This is especially true for those that worry
about the lack of specs in their development environment. Don't complain
about it... Fix it. Offer to write the specs, and you'll soon be seen as the
miracle worker who makes life better for everyone.

Test the product while in development. I get builds at the same time QA
does, and frequently find bugs before they do. In return, they test the
help files before the whole shooting match goes to packaging and release.
They think of the help as integral to the product, and they write bugs on it
as well. It's way cool.

My main soap box point when this issue resurfaces is simple: documentation
is NOT separate from the product, it's part of the product and until you
treat it that way, nobody else will. You may have to find a champion, you
may be able to find your way in on your own (I talk loudly, but I back it up
with high quality results, and they know it), but if you work hard and work
smart you'll be as integral to development as the best programmer around.

Documentation, in whatever format, is part of your branding (and yes, that
means marketing) efforts, it's part of your company image, and it's part of
your commitment to support. It's not trivial, and it's certainly not
separate. To do it well you need to be one part business analyst, one part
QA, several parts industry and technical expert, and an overall good
communicator. Forget the ivory tower, get down there in the trenches!

I think that ends the quarterly soapbox report :)

Regards

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause I'm afraid
that we've been cheated here on Earth" - Clint Black "Galaxy Song"