RE: Documentation Phase in Software-Development Life Cycle

Subject: RE: Documentation Phase in Software-Development Life Cycle
From: "France Baril" <France -dot- Baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:31:19 -0400

I do work in such an environment. It is not an easy job to keep up with updates as the content is being created. However, my company is small enough to be flexible and the importance of documentation is well understood. I send lots of reminders to VPs such as: Can you guys make sure the last changes to interfaces are done by Thursday morning as planned so that I can integrate them before Friday morning... for the release, or I need half a day to insert the new error messages in the API, when do you think they will be ready? They usually comply to demands or at least give me all they have so that I can start working. They also send me emails when they make changes to fonctionalities, well, most of the time.

The ONE BEST THING is the weekly meeting on bug fixes when a releasing date is approaching. We review every bug and assign them priorities. Therefore, I know what is coming up. Moreover, at the end of the meeting we review each fixed bug to see if documentation is affected.

One last thing, when the beta comes up, I am expected to include all content. Typos and the level of language are not an issue. Therefore, I can focus on content accuracy only. The review process takes place after the beta, when no new functionality can be added, it helps a lot.

I hope, this helps.

France

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com