Re: Linux users' expectations of online help

Subject: Re: Linux users' expectations of online help
From: Sean Wheller <seanwhe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:41:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- David O'Brien <OBrien_David_P -at- cat -dot- com> wrote:

> I agree, very important question. I'm a convert of
> sorts and generally loving
> it, although still coming to terms with some some of
> the install and config
> issues that I come across. e.g. after ./configure
> and make, when make
> install fails I get that horrible sinking
> feeling.... I can understand (and
> have witnessed) a few who have switched over to
> Linux only to revert back to
> Windows after a few weeks complaining about Linux
> being a piece of...

Yes tar balls can be hair balls. I am glad to see that
I am not alone. I to
moved to Linux about two years ago. I am still on a
learning curve. But that
is what I like. Since moving to Linux I have learnt so
many new things.
Stuff that, as a Windows User, I was shielded from. I
am happy for this as
it helps me in my work.

I guess it really depends on what the users wants, for
I know people that
just do not want to be bothered by some of the stuff
Linux users know. Nor
should they have to, it's not their job.

> > If they do then the help system needs improvement.
> If
> > they don't, then it still needs improvement so
> that
> > more Windows migrants will settle on Linux.
> >
> > I just wish more Technical Authors would
> contribute to
> > Linux Projects.
>
> And this is high on my list of things to get
> involved in, I'm just not sure
> where to volunteer my time yet. I know little enough
> about Linux as it is and
> so I'm a bit hesitant, but I welcome the opportunity
> a) share what I do know
> b) learn about DocBook
> c) make Linux more accessible and usable
> d) learn more about it in the process

Dave, getting involved is bitter sweet. It's easy and
it's not.

You must find a project that you can handle and
remember you don't have to
do it all. Take small parts. Work them and contribute
them back to the
project. Obviously check with the admins to ensure
that nobody else is doing
the same part.

> a) share what I do know
Share. It's a gift culture. If you enjoy giving gifts
you will get pleasure
and satisfaction from it. You will also learn in the
process.
Try looking through the foundry at source-forge
(http://www.sf.net), if
nothing else happens you will be amazed to see just
how many projects are
under development. There must be something for you.

> b) learn about DocBook
Essential. Docbook (Simplified) is the standard for
most projects. You will
also be developing a CUTTING-EDGE skill for your
resume.

> c) make Linux more accessible and usable
Linux is already accessible and usable. I think you
mean to improve upon the
great work already under foot.

> d) learn more about it in the process
You cannot help but learn.

May I suggest. If you are a technical person, but not
a programmer, try SuSE
http://www.suse.com. You can do an installation of
SuSE via FTP. The
installation is easy.

If you are a developer, you may want to try Debian
(http://www.debian.org)

If you are neither, then try Mandrake
(http://www.mandrake.org)

I like the KDE desktop, but you may want to try GNOME.
You can install both
and switch between them if you want.

Enjoy,

Sean Wheller