Re: Numbering in Procedures

Subject: Re: Numbering in Procedures
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:47:43 -0400

"Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com> wrote on 09/23/2003 08:42:14 AM:
> I left out that the current
> procedure as
> stuff like in step 12.1.3 says to refer to step 5.1 and so forth in
> certain places throughout the 15-stage procedure. I was
> thinking of a
> few ways to do it, but I think I will be going with the
> module thinking,
> and for those "refer to" incidents, instead of what is listed above,
> just say:"See Configure XXXXX, Step 1 or Task 1."

If you want to get rid of the decimal numbering, that's the way to go.
Think of the whole procedure as an activity and each module as a task.
Then, refer only to tasks if necessary. The only thing you must be
absolutely clear about is whether the procedure must be completed in it's
entirety of if the user can take breaks between each task. If they are
likely to take breaks, ensure that sufficient reminders are present so
that the next task does not assume too many preconditions from the
previous task.

If you have to refer to specific steps, just copy them. The clarity for
the reader will more than make up for the slight increase in page count.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com