Re: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:02:47 -0400

Sometimes there's good reason. I'd rather have half a dozen
reviewers put marks on paper and refer me to ascii text files
they've written, than for each edit the document as if he were
making the definitive final copy. Also, if I'm working in FM,
do I send FM source to reviewers who don't have FM? Do I send
Acrobat? Word?

Some reviewers would really prefer to look at paper, not a
laptop, on that drowsy and rattling 90-minute train ride home.
The consequence of falling asleep with paper on your lap is
not potentially as costly as if it were your laptop.

On the other hand, some reviewers object to being given any paper
at all, because on-line is "easier". So it is necessary to know
how to fold in the contradictory comments from six on-line
reviewers, no matter that two of them have re-arranged the order
of most of the paragraphs.

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:24:07 -0600, <Jeanne -dot- Keuma -at- ch2m -dot- com> wrote:

[SNIP]
Ability to work quickly with online rather than
paper files
Does this really need to be stated now, in the year
2003? I mean for a serious techcomm/writ candidate?
[END]

Yes, you'd be surprised at how many writers and editors would rather
work with hard copies of intermediate drafts! And that requires extra
effort (typing in text they could have typed in from the beginning).
Extra effort always means more cost to the firm's clients...and budgets
are very strict, so everyone needs to have some project management
skills (certainly the employer, as you mentioned, but also all the
employees).

Jeanne

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com