Re: Numbering in Procedures

Subject: Re: Numbering in Procedures
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:34:43 -0400

Oja, W. Kelly wrote:

I have a question for the list. I am currently revising a procedure, and
have hit a roadblock on how to set the numbering. The users/readers, do
not like numbering that goes: 1.0, 1.1, 1.1.1, 2.0, 2.1, etc. I have
managed to avoid it up until today. The numbering/outlining schemes I
used previously will not work with the current procedure because this
one is soooo involved.

The way I see it, I use the numbering system listed above and that is
currently in place for my revision, or... something else.

Any ideas out there on a overcast and gloomy Monday?

Kelly,

Usually (major emphasis on _usually_ because circumstances vary), it is better to avoid decimal numbering systems in procedures.

Such systems are appropriate in internal engineering specs, if your readers like them (ask!); but in procedural instructions they just get in the way.

What works better is to use headings and bulleted lists to break up the job into manageable chunks and then number the steps in those chunks with integers. For example:

INSTALLING A FRAMMIS
Installing a frammis consists of:
• Preparing the workspace
• Unpacking the frammis container
• Assembling the frammis
• Configuring the frammis
• Attaching the frammis to the fisteris
• Testing the completed assembly
• Cleanup

Preparing the Workspace
Preparing the workspace consists of:
• Clearing a 12 x 15 work area
• Mopping the floor

To mop the floor:
1. Fill a bucket
2. Stick the mop in it
etc.
etc.

Unpacking the Frammis
To unpack the frammis:
1.
2.
3.

HTH,

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

“Mustang” (code name) is a NEW online publishing tool for FrameMaker that

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com