RE: weird product decision, must make weird documentation decision

Subject: RE: weird product decision, must make weird documentation decision
From: "Jim Shaeffer" <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:35:06 -0400

It may be possible for you to check for the condition and
write macros that cause the user to jump to the correct help
topics for their chosen view.

If you cannot access the point in the code where the end user
registers their choice, maybe the programmers can put a file
on the user's drive for you when the Classic view is selected.
Then, you can use an IFEXIST statement to determine where to
send the user.

I use this technique (in classic WinHelp) for some cases where
the installation of software module B has an impact on the GUI
of software module A. I put an entry macro in one topic that
checks for the preseence of a key file. If the file exists, the
user jumps to the alternate help topic (without ever seeing the
first topic).

As for indexing, I remove any index entries that point to the
alternate topic. Every entry point goes to the base topic.
>From there, the macro controls the flow.

Caution: This technique can play havoc with the use of the
Back button, but we've accepted that tradeoff.

Also, my situation seems simpler than yours, but my feeling
is that the technique can scale up.

Good luck.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com