RE: Word and multiple conditions (a cutting edge skill?)

Subject: RE: Word and multiple conditions (a cutting edge skill?)
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:43:59 -0400

>> >I think that their manager should be requiring
>> >the proponents to perform a demonstration of
>> >the task before they do it on anything real.
>> >At the same time, their manager should require
>> >the proponents to provide him or her with
>> >the technical details of the process in Word
>> >in writing BEFORE any demonstration.
>>
>> It's called a Proof of Concept.
>>

>Oh. What's the verb to use? Does one "prepare" or "create"
>a PoC? Does one abbreviate it as I did?
>
>Can you tell me what "business logic" is, John? I've
>Googled until I'm giddy, but I cannot find an intelligible
>definition without buying a $125.00
>textbook.

Proof of Concept:

You perform a Proof of Concept, and we do use the acro POC.

You basically perform the operation under a controlled setting with no
outside influences, but under the same conditions that you would perform it
in production.

In this case, you'd make sure you are using a fully configured and
same-version copy of the application (Word), with a subset of documents
comparable with what you'd use in production. If the operation will involve
up to 20 variables in the document, then you must use 20.

Before you can do this, you must define the requirements, usually
functional, and define a number of test scenarios comparable to what you'd
see in real life that must be passed before you can accept it in production.

Business logic:

A definition of the process independent of hardware and applications. The
idea is that you should be able to take a process...let's say, Credit Card
Authorization, and using the defined business process, make it work on any
platform, since the only applicable factor is the movement of data through
the process and the effect it has on/is effected by other processes.

In UML, it would be comparable Use Cases, but multiple Use Cases make a
business process.

Around here, a business process might be "selling a book from inventory". It
defines every decision point that happens from the time that a book needs to
be removed from inventory, to the point that it is, databases and records
are updated and the appropriate other entities are notified.

John Posada
Information Hunter-Gatherer
Special Projects; Information Technology
Barnes&Noble.com
NY: 212-414-6656

**********************************
This electronic mail message contains information that (a) is or may be
CONFIDENTIAL,
PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE,
and (b) is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein. If
you are not an
intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and take the steps
necessary to
delete the message completely from your computer system.

Not Intended as a Substitute for a Writing: Notwithstanding the Uniform
Electronic Transaction
Act or any other law of similar effect, absent an express statement to the
contrary,
this e-mail message, its contents, and any attachments hereto are not
intended to represent
an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not otherwise
intended to bind
this sender, barnesandnoble.com llc, barnesandnoble.com inc. or any other
person or entity.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com