Re: Refining My "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills Post

Subject: Re: Refining My "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills Post
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:47:08 -0700 (PDT)

> A cutting edge technical writer considers tools a
> very small aspect of his/her job.

Right!

> The best writers spend the overwhelming majority
> (75% or more) of their time acquiring intimate,
> expert-level knowledge of the technologies they
> document. These writers
> document from experience and insight. They don't
> just "pretty up" somebody
> else's work using way-cool tools and formats.

I would agree with "majority of their time" but
disagree with throwing a number out, for various
reasons. ;)

> Tool skills (like XML) might impress other writers
> at an STC gathering, but it
> rarely impresses employers or anybody else outside
> STC. The real world wants
> writers who can generate useful content. The tool
> used is never as important as
> the quality of the content.

Yes and no. XML skills will wow a good deal of
employers, especially if they're looking at or moving
toward or are already down the path of XML authoring
(on doc or dev side of things). XML will not be the
"win all" skill, but it'll be a perk. And no, I would
NEVER associate XML skills as an indication of
technical savviness. It's a hot buzzword, but
honestly, those who think it's ultra high-tech
obviously haven't gotten their feet wet with it yet.
It's just another means of managing information,
though it happens to be a very fluid means.

> Sure, you can acquire tool skills and spend a lot of
> time on that. But, it
> won't make you a better writer. It might make you a
> better desktop publisher or
> layout/designer. But that's not the same as being a
> writer.

Right on, Andrew.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com