DB app recommendations?

Subject: DB app recommendations?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:50:53 -0400

Dan Goldstein: <<OCR limitations are well known, but the hard copy's gotta
be ingested somehow.>>

They're so well known that many people forget to include them in their
planning. Not accusing you of anything, just pointing out that "familiarity
breeds contempt", and that leads to problems if you don't explicitly address
the limitations in your plans.

<<Editing is the least of our troubles. We have an excellent review system
in place>>

Again, it's nice that you have a process, and I'm not accusing you
specifically. But I've often seen managers say "but it's already edited and
in print, so let's bypass the system and save time that way". It's a false
economy, obviously, but a very, very tempting one, and thus, something you
need to remember to watch out for. More importantly, the editing should
occur when you add the materials to the database to avoid the "garbage in,
garbage out" phenomenon. That takes time some managers may be reluctant to
devote up-front, but saves time in the end.

<<This is *not* a single-source documentation project, but rather an attempt
to add tools to the existing mining process.>>

Fair enough, but the same advice applies: "write once, reuse multiple times"
is the common thread between what you're doing and "true" single-sourcing.
The same advice applies in both cases.

(try ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca if you get no response)
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"Wisdom is one of the few things that look bigger the further away it
is."--Terry Pratchett

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com