Re: Translation Control

Subject: Re: Translation Control
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 06:11:16 -0700 (PDT)

> What is the easiest way to manage translations?

Translation memory software.

> What source files should you have (i.e. MSWord
> files, XML files, HTML files)

Yes. :P You can use nearly any "documentation" format
with most translation memory tools. The text is
"extracted" into the translation memory tool, which
can "roundtrip" the translation back to the original
format. (Note: this is a very simplistic description,
and I use those "quoted" terms VERY loosely for sake
of brevity.)

> What process if any have any of you defined in
> managing the whole
> translation process from start to finish?

We work hand in hand with our localization department.

Search the web for Trados and SDLX. I prefer SDLX.
It's just as robust (if not more so) than Trados, and
it's a helluva lot cheaper (and allows you to
distribute the localization "client" to translators
freely, should you choose to manage this on your own.

If you're just looking to get stuff localized, hit up
nearly any large translation firm. They'll manage the
translation memory for you and all you have to worry
about is getting them source content, receiving target
content, and of course, paying them.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com