Re: What Are the "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills?

Subject: Re: What Are the "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills?
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 07:18:07 -0700 (PDT)

----------------------------
Bruce wrote in response to Ted Engel question about cutting edge TW skills:
In my experience, the two most important abilities for success are
knowledge of your subject matter and organization.
----------------------------

I would also add to this an understanding of your organization's business goals, which may or may not come under "subject matter expertise." It's one thing to know, say, accounting standards, but it's another to know how your company and its product relate to those standards, or fill a need related to those standards.

--------------------------
Bruce also wrote:
if you're in a full-time position, I suspect that the ability to tolerate routine is more important.

I think that would depend on the kind of product or service you're writing for. If you're writing for a small product, the tedium will probably come into play. If you're writing for a large product, like me, the tedium isn't really there. Maybe more important than managing the tedium is integrating the constant changes in function with existing docs. Hmmm....but I suppose that goes back to organization.

"This is either madness or brilliant."
"It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide." -- Will Turner & Captain Jack Sparrow
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com