Re: WAY OT: Help with Latin

Subject: Re: WAY OT: Help with Latin
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:27:20 -0600

Cindy Kight wrote:

> Well, from the Latin dictionary I found on line:
>
> 'catellus' = little dog
> 'germanus' = german
> 'botulus' = sausage
>
> So 'catellus germanus botulus' could possibly mean 'little German sausage
dog'.

I think that's right, except for the endings. It's been way too many years
since I took Latin, but I think it should be "Cave catellem (or canem)
botuli germani."

Or, since "dachshund" literally means "badger dog," you could go with "Cave
canem [Latin for badger]." The only problem is that there seem to be several
kinds of badgers (Taxidea taxus, Meles meles, Mellivora capensis, a bunch of
Megolale species, and more).

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs