RE: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?

Subject: RE: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: 'Goober Writer' <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:19:50 -0400

>> If I were
>> hiring someone and they said BTW, I type 120 wpm,
>> would it be a + on their list? Sure.

>Funny, I'd question why they thought it important
>enough to bring up unsolicited. To me, boasting about

What unsolicited? I don't ask "How quickly can you type", but I may ask "How
to get the maximum productivity at crunch time?"

>typing speed or suggesting it's a good quality in a
>good technical writer is very weird. As someone else

Why isn't it? Is 5 wpm better than 2 wpm? Is 10 better than 5? Therefore, by
extension, why isn't 120 better than 30?

You know the ending to the joke about asking the woman to sleep with you for
a million dollars...it's all just details.

>already pointed out today, as a technical writer we
>think at the keyboard, and more time is spent

So? On some things, I can think fast. I'd like to have my fingers keep up.
is that bad?

>formulating/researching what we're going to type
>instead of spent actually typing. That kinda renders
>the wpm "plus" moot, no?

No.

OK, I spend 3 days reaearching, I may not type a single word because I'm
playing with the application...now I know the subject...let's get it on
paper as quickly as possible.

There are times when I might need to create 15 pages of procedure steps. I
know the procedure inside and out, I have the screen shots applied in
sequence, all I need to do is pour in text.

Why wouldn't I like to sweep through the 15 pages in a half hour vs. a half
day?

John Posada
Special Projects
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com

**********************************
This electronic mail message contains information that (a) is or may be
CONFIDENTIAL,
PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE,
and (b) is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein. If
you are not an
intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and take the steps
necessary to
delete the message completely from your computer system.

Not Intended as a Substitute for a Writing: Notwithstanding the Uniform
Electronic Transaction
Act or any other law of similar effect, absent an express statement to the
contrary,
this e-mail message, its contents, and any attachments hereto are not
intended to represent
an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not otherwise
intended to bind
this sender, barnesandnoble.com llc, barnesandnoble.com inc. or any other
person or entity.