RE: Typing requirement in a tech writing ad - how to respond?

Subject: RE: Typing requirement in a tech writing ad - how to respond?
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: Watson Laughton <WLaughton -at- orphan -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:05:48 -0400

At 08:36 AM -0500 2003-09-11, Watson Laughton wrote:

I don't think that's universal (or United States-al, anyway); when I was
in high school in the early 70's (in West Springfield, MA), I had to kick
and claw my way into typing class, and was branded a troublemaker for my
efforts. And I was the only boy in the class.

Data point:
John Marshall High School
Rochester, NY 1965

Typing I, II, III
each course was a full semester long
almost exclusively female
boys and college-prep girls were strongly discouraged
Personal Typing
exactly the same material as Typing I + II + III
exam at the end was the Typing III exam from the previous June
8 weeks in summer school
pretty even male/female, all college prep kids
--

K@ Kat Nagel
"Let horrid Jargon split the Air