Tool for quick lookups/searches (was Re: What's on your TC bookshelf?)

Subject: Tool for quick lookups/searches (was Re: What's on your TC bookshelf?)
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:06:16 -0600

John Posada wrote:

> You can add a dictionary.com toolbar right in to your browser, like I do
on
> my laptop.

Allow me to put in a plug for Dave's Quick Search Deskbar
(http://notesbydave.com/toolbar/doc.htm). It adds a little text box to your
task bar that normally displays the time and date. It's primary purpose is
quick Google searches -- type a word or phrase into the text box and press
Enter. Your browser opens to the Google search results.

But that's only the beginning. Type "foobar:" to look it up on the
Merriam-Webster site. Type "foobar;" to look it up at thesaurus.com. Or
"foobar[" for encyclopedia.com.

And there are at least 20 other options, from alternative search engines to
Mapquest maps to stock quotes to a handy built-in calculator. You don't have
to memorize all the options -- there's a popup menu.

Check it out. It's free, open source, and the quickest, easiest way to
access info on the Web from your desktop. Far better than browser plugins
because you don't have to open your browser first.

<disclaimer>I'm just a satisfied user.</disclaimer>

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer