RE: SME vs. Audience

Subject: RE: SME vs. Audience
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Hoyt, Karen" <Karen -dot- Hoyt -at- pyxis -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 06:44:38 -0700 (PDT)

> <<It seems to me that writers of the font-fondling
> persuasion artificially
> created the whole "SME vs. audience" issue so they
> could create jobs where
> their technical ignorance would become an asset.>>
>
> Is it a given that this position is prevalent?

Andrew's take is more black vs. white than what your
normal industry trends may show, but I don't think
he's incorrect in his thinking (exaggerated maybe, but
not incorrect).

I seem to remember a lot from my college days
concerning this. Most of my theory professors held
this as law... The tech writer should be the user
advocate and the closer you get to the subject the
less you can break out of that mindset and back into
the users'.

That's bunk. In fact, and in part, this mentality is
why I never bothered to go back for a MS or PhD. Not
that I fear I'd be sucked into that mode of thinking,
but for fear that I'd either cause too much trouble
contradicting my professors in class (which I did as
an undergrad) or risk poor grades from not adopting
their mindset in my work.

But that's another issue. ;) I'm full of issues (can't
you tell?).

LOL!

But, as a tech writer, you need to be both a SME and a
user advocate. Otherwise you cannot guarantee a good
job is being done.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com