Re: Typing requirement in a tech writing ad - how to respond?

Subject: Re: Typing requirement in a tech writing ad - how to respond?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: France Baril <France -dot- Baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:28:30 -0400

France Baril wrote:

Why don't you just test your self at home? Find a text, retype it during 5 minutes and count the words and mistakes.
As to why they are asking for this requirement, I'd say they want a woman (men were not taught how to type until very recently)

France,

I have no idea whether that is true in Quebec, but typing classes have been open to people of both sexes in all parts of the US that I'm familiar with for many decades. I took typing in the summer of 1961 and, while the instructor was a woman (as were most schoolteachers), the class was not predominantly female. My dad was not offered a typing class by the US Army in WW II only because his two-finger typing speed was high enough to pass the course exit exam (and so he never did learn to touch-type).

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]