RE: Interdepartmental Projects

Subject: RE: Interdepartmental Projects
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:48:37 -0400

W. Kelly Oja wrote:

> Working outside of
> the Operations department but still getting paid essentially by the
> Operations department cause a small amount of friction. I should note
> that the Marketing department does not have their own tech writer.

Always make sure your manager is aware of these requests. Time spent
outside of the department reduces time available within it.

"Friction" means you might not have the latitude to allocate a portion of
your time to doing work outside of your department. Bump the issue up to
your manager and let the manager negotiate with the other department or give
you guidelines for your availability.

Avoid getting caught between people higher up the food chain--it's not your
job to be the bologna in the sandwich.

Cheers ... Kim
(mmmm ... bologna sandwich ...)