Web site maintenance by non-technical users? (take II)

Subject: Web site maintenance by non-technical users? (take II)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:46:25 -0400

Another thought occurred to me, alluded to only briefly in my original post.
I mentioned the idea that any publishing effort should include a review
cycle (i.e., we are none of us immune to making mistakes, so we should have
our material edited before it goes online), and that suggests another
solution: hire an HTML-literate editor, or train one!

The advantage of this is twofold: First, your client doesn't need to bother
himself with the minutae of Web publishing. Second, you get a higher quality
of material published because at least some of the obvious mistakes are
fixed before anyone else every sees them. Given that you already established
have a relationship between your school's students and the client, the ideal
people to do this work would be students, perhaps as part of their
requirements for completing a class. That provides a third benefit:
real-world experience the students can put on a resume.

Sounds like a potential win-win-win situation to me!

(try ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca if you get no response)
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of matter at or near the
earth's surface relative to other matter; second, telling other people to do
so. The first is unpleasant and ill-paid; the second is pleasant and highly
paid."--Bertrand Russell