Re: What's on your TC bookshelf?

Subject: Re: What's on your TC bookshelf?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 14:59:51 -0700

Quoting Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>:

> Sounds like it's in the same category as cow tipping..... but a very
> cool title.

It's from a quote attributed to Frederick Goudy, the great American
typographer: "anyone who would letterspace lower case would steal sheep."

I've heard a few variations on the exact quote, as well as the claim that he
said it about an award he had just received.

Incidentally, I'm surprised that, as experienced writers, both Michele and
Chuck mention grammar references; I would say that they didn't need them. I
have the OED for the pleasures of etymology, and a thesaurus (arranged by
concept,not by word - it's the only really useful form for a thesaurus) that I
occasionally refer to, but I use neither for technical, marketing or business
writing. And it's been years since I used a purely grammatical reference. I
guess years of marking first year English papers have left me with a very
explicit sense of language structure.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177