Re: Documentation Change Requests

Subject: Re: Documentation Change Requests
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:42:19 -0400

Anachie Shakespeare wrote:
> Does anyone out there deal with Document Change Request, as a formal
process.

I've worked with doc change requests once before... they are appropriate for
a larger tech pubs group that has responsibility for many documents. Change
requests are good for organizing your work when you aren't 100% responsible
for the document (i.e., when you don't have complete control over the
document).

Especially in a strongly hierarchical organization, change requests are
great CYA tools - you can never be faulted for implementing the change
request to the letter. Not that that's a good thing, but in larger doc
groups sometimes it's the way things are done.

But before setting up a system of doc change requests, first make sure you
have a strong and reliable system of change requests for the product
itself - that way you can see where you need to change your documentation.

OTOH change requests just get in the way if you are a single writer who is
simultaneously analyzing the topic, determining the information needs,
developing the content, and is responsible for the whole document.

Mike O.

"Anachie Shakespeare" <anachie -at- lycos -dot- com> wrote in message
news:212201 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> All:
>
> Does anyone out there deal with Document Change Request, as a formal
process. If so, do you use a set template for document change request
submissions, do you have any presentation materials or documented processes
that you would be willing to share. And please, feel free to share your
experiences with dealing with Doc Change Requests, the good and the bad.