RE: Definitions: publications vs. documentation

Subject: RE: Definitions: publications vs. documentation
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:40:44 -0500

I would define publication as a document that is sent out to a number of
people. I may be trying to simplify it too much, but I see a publication
as something that is mass-produced for a small to large audience. I
would define documentation as putting pen to paper, the recording of
ideas, events, procedures, anything and everything in the development
process of the product and/or the finalized document.

I fear that this may lead to a debate along the lines of "You say
tah-may-toe and I say tuh=mah-toe." But I believe documentation can be a
final copy, but when teamed with publication, it is a precursor.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone

Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM) now with email
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more...