Re: Web site maintenance by non-technical users

Subject: Re: Web site maintenance by non-technical users
From: John Cornellier <cornellier1 -at- stavanger -dot- oilfield -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:37:32 +0200

Sounds like an interesting project. As Gene pointed out, it's not just about a technological solution, but about keeping the customer happy.

How dynamic is the structure? Or does only the content of pages change? What's the time / money budget? How much IT support can you get? Does your user have to be stand alone 100 per cent uptime with no support? (sorry about the metaphors). Does anyone care if it looks nice?

Can you consider not using Word? There are "collaboration" type softwares around now; blogs were mentioned.

Where I am we use Twiki (www.twiki.org). You'd need some help from the IT people to put the CGI (PERL) in place. You didn't say how big the site is, so maybe Twiki is too heavy duty.

If it's just static pages where you're editing the content, consider good ol' Netscape Composer 4.7 or it's more recent version. It's cheap & cheerful, didn't require code editing, and has basic editing fuctions for tables etc.

John Cornellier