RE: Biomed - Wave of the Future - Evolve?

Subject: RE: Biomed - Wave of the Future - Evolve?
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:27:30 -0700 (PDT)

> Here we go again with the numbers. Anyone got a
> basis for a good guess? I'm
> in the heartland of biomed here (Rockville, MD) so
> it's hard for me to be
> objective. But 1:100 for the whole country sounds
> unrealistically low.

My numbers are 100% factual and solid, so long as you
live in my head. ;)

I never said I had hard numbers, just an approximation
based on nothing.

But, if 1:100 seems low, maybe it is. Maybe it's more
like 1:50. After all, there were literally thousands
of dot-bombs out there, of which several hundred
survived (and many of those hundreds are barely doing
so). The grants and fundings were flying like dung in
a monkey cage. I think I'm not over-guesstimating that
a good majority of those dot-bombs employed at least
one tech writer.

Now how many well-funded biomed companies do you think
there will be in comparrison to dot-bombs (given that
people learned their lesson from over-funding the
dot-bombs)? And of those well-funded biomeds, about
how many do you think will be in a good position to
allocate cash to research as well as technical
writing, instead of having researchers and their
interns document the findings and solutions?

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com